Saturday, November 15, 2008

The glass is half full ...

Hmm .. if I make a statement like that does that mean I am more optimistic compared to someone who say that the glass is half empty? To a practical observer, the result is the same as the amount of water in the glass is the same no matter how I say it. Anyway, there are a lot of issues running through my mind lately that seems to influence my brain's CPU downtime. I wanted to write about it for quite some time now but I know there is no way I can fully expressed it properly in words. So I won't be writing about it then but for now, I just want to explore others things that may or may not be related to the original intent of me trying to write this blog. Confused? Don't worry ... it is intentional!

Have any of you thought about the term World Champion? For example Best Driver in F1 or Best FIFA World Player for 2008? Is this really true and does the person who won that coveted title really is the best person in the field for that particular year? Or it sexiest man alive is really the sexiest man ALIVE? Or is the world record holder for 100 meter dash is the fastest man on earth?

According to http://www.census.gov/ipc/www/popclockworld.html, the total population of the World, projected to 11/24/08 at 15:40 GMT (EST+5) is 6,739,036,009. Is Lewis Hamilton really the best F1 driver for 2008? Yes the statement is true as Lewis Hamilton did indeed beat the rest of the F1 lineup for 2008. I can imagine there must be another person who can, if given the right training program and equal equipment, beat Lewis Hamilton. Another example is Usain Bolt. Is he really the fastest man on earth just because he is holding the world record? Yes, he is the fastest man who happens to hold the fastest recorded time in an atheletic event. But is there REALLY no one else who can run faster than Usain Bolt if that person gets similar regimented training and exposure?

What I am trying to say here is that there is no such thing as an ultimate or perfect person in this world. My highest IQ score was 148 which I got when I took the test in the US and the latest score I took was 132 (as shown in FB). Therefore, it is safe to assume that I am a smart person but I am sure there are smarter people out there. In fact, three out of fifteen of my friends have higher IQs than me, according to IQ Test results on FB. And if I compare my Who Has the Biggest Brain game score, I am nowhere close to the best in the World. Disturbing, right? But the thing is even the person with the best score on FB is not necessary the best because there are other people out there that are not on FB or do not have access to FB. Imagine that! So I should remind myself not to call anyone dumb because to another smarter person, I am dumb! And since this world is continuously changing and evolving, the person I called dumb a minute ago could be smarter than me in the future.

There are a lot of other questions that go through my mind and it seems to be growing exponentially. It feels like someone just sent me an e-mail bomb filled with those questions.
  • I know I am hardworking but I know someone close to me called me lazy ...
  • I know I am a smart person but I know people calling me uneducated ...
  • I think I am a fit person (more on the chubby side :-)) but I have heard people calling me fat ...
  • I try very hard to be a kind person all the time but people tend to remember the mean things I did occasionally....
  • I believe my Islamic values are still very strong but many has considered me as a lost cause just because I lack the discipline to pray 5 times a day ... they may be right, I don't know. Wallahuallam ..
  • I think I am a good dad but I am sure there are those who beg to differ ... :-)

Sure, I strive to be as good as I possibly can but I know I will never be perfect. Just like I know that ..

  • My eyesight is close to be crappy but I am thankful that I still can see and enjoy the beautiful sights with the glasses on, of course.
  • My legs are huge and flabby at the moment but I am thankful that I can still walk and go places without much problems.
  • My face may not be good looking but at least I have a face that both my sons can recognise and smile when they see it.
  • My money in the bank may not be as much as I want it to be but at least I don't have to go to the streets to beg for it.
  • My car is not a Ferrari or a Maserati Quartroporte but it does bring my family safely from point A to point B and return safely.

Like I said earlier, there is so much things to write but I can't seem to put them together properly. Nevertheless, I am thankful to what I have .. a wonderful wife who I love with all my heart, the two most adorable and wonderful boys that no words can express how much I love and care for them, my true friends who have seen me through difficult and happy times, and of course, my simple yet interesting worldly possessions that help me keep up with my daily life. So yes .. my glass is definitely half full! Alhamdulillah!

3 comments:

dJ phuturecybersonique said...

I thought I'd point out that as an engineer, you oughtta see the glass as twice the size it needs to be! ;)

Isam d'Allee said...

True .. and point taken but then you need to get a new glass. The story is to look at your life (glass) as it is without making you go out and get a new life just to make your life full!! :-)

Thanks

Rohaya & Taufik said...

Interesting.One click on the FB and it brings me here. A half full glass is better than an overflow one. Well, FB apps are like a lego of code snippets that can be assembled by a bunch of unhealthy coffee addicts. Life can be complicate sometime but I tend to imagine myself watching the glass from the above, outside and under.

-taufik