Sunday, July 6, 2008

Another journey driven by the high price of crude oil

Picture taken from www.ecofriend.org

The meteoric rise of crude oil price has become the catalyst to the positive growth of many green related technologies, and most importantly the increase of public awareness towards finding and developing sustainable renewable energy beyond 2030. After my work assignment in Japan ended in 2004, I decided to advance my knowledge and work experience through postgraduate studies in Sustainable Development for Energy or Sustainable Hydrogen Economy (from well to wheel). As mentioned in my previous blog, my intent for postgraduate did not materialise because HR thought that both courses were not in line with company's direction and of course, my direct management does not 100% believe in further education. On hindsight, I should have just applied for a scholarship or loan outside from my company and completed my postgraduate studies with one of the courses in a very prestige university in UK. However, it is always easier to look back and reflect on the right course of action. I knew the price of oil will eventually go up but not in less than 5 years (2004 - 2008). Based on the studies that I had been doing by reading data and trends available on the internet, I projected that the world oil crisis would only begin to escalate between 2015 - 2020. So back in 2004, I thought that it would be alright to wait until I would be 35 years old to start my postgraduate studies. So 2008 came and just before I turned 35, I received a preliminary acceptance for my postgraduate studies at Lund University for Environmental Management & Policy. I hope I am not too late ...

Anyway, before embarking on a new journey (still not confirmed because I have not obtained clearance from my company to pursue my postgraduate studies), I would like to start highlighting latest green technologies or environmental issues in my blog as part of my unofficial course work to create awareness amongst friends and families first.

No comments: