Friday, June 27, 2008

You Raise Me Up - Thank you to all

I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who have been part of my life, so I want to dedicate this song 'You Raise Me Up' by Josh Groban to all of you (family, friends, colleagues, acquantainces etc) whether you read my blog or not.




Anyway a diversion from the original intent above, I just recently turn 35 less than a week ago while receiving bottles and bottles of anti-inflammatory (pain killer), anti-biotics and glucose to help with the pain of havinga huge Peritonsillar Abscess just behind my right tonsils. The doctors told me that I have no choice but to go through operation to remove both tonsils and also the abscess behind the right tonsils. The pain in between pain killers were unbearable but many with good intentions claimed that the pain should not be too bad because tonsillectomy is a very simple procedure and done commonly amongst children. Some of them may have thought what a wimp I was based on the look in their eyes or in the tones of their voices. I keep telling myself - get a grip! The pain should not be as bad as it feels. I never spoke of the pain to anyone again.

Fast forward until this day(3rd day post-op), the pain seems to be getting worse as compared to the pain I had prior to the operation. What??? This can't be - I remembered the doctors telling me that the pain will get worse until 10th day post op hence why they gave me medical leave for that long. Again, I thought to myself if I were to take this long to recover at home, I am sure I will be getting a lot of cynical remarks from inconsiderate people. So the message I wrote to everyone is that I got 10 days MC but I will try to come in to work on the 6th day post op. Macho! Actually, when I wrote that message, I did feel that I was recovering much better and faster until about 3 hours ago. AAAAARRRGGHHH PAIN!!

Okay, I know I am not a wimp so I decided to check out the internet and see what is going on or whether there are others who have went through this before. What I found on adult tonsillectomy kinda shocked me. The findings from healthboard.com are summarised below.

Stage 1 (Day 1 - 3 post op) - MODERATE pain. I think I handled the pain well even without taking the pain killers. It is getting bad but I am still able to dish out this blog.

Stage 2 (Day 4 - 9 post op) - Moderate to SEVERE pain. I cannot imagine what is going to happen. All the posts I read in the internet indicated having pain killer medications that one takes orally in order to alleviate the pain. My doctor prescribed medication that I have to take it up my ***. I am dreading this moment.

Stage 3 (Day 10 or thereabouts) - Moderate to minor pain or discomfort. Anyone knows how to time travel??

Anyway, to all who thought that adult tonsillectomy is a walk in the park with simple or at least with common surgery practice, I would like to thank you for raising me up to the next level. Without having this much pain, fatigue from not having enough sleep (due to the pain) and plenty of thinking time from being alone most of the time at hospital, I am now thankful for everything good and bad that is part of my life and thus yearning for a positive change in my life.
Thank you once again.

6 comments:

dJ phuturecybersonique said...

i had my tonsillectomy done when i was 17 (quite close to SPM) at an ENT clinic. the pain was like a having a porcupine shoved down my throat. i was promised that i'd be fed with ice-cream post-op by that hot nurse but never got mine (the nurse).

Isam d'Allee said...

Yeah ... but pain and recovery time seems to get much worse as one get older (2x). Anyway, I am riding through the recovery period without pain killers because I have never had so much drugs pumped into my body prior to being discharged from hospital. So far, the pain comes in waves but the best thing is that I have not spoken much since being discharged.

Roving Soul said...

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I duakan you get well soon.

Isam d'Allee said...

Thank you, my dear

citykoos said...

ouch! u ok now? never had a tonsi..something something but i cud imagine the pain!

Isam d'Allee said...

Much better, alhamdulillah. The pain which normally comes in waves is not as bad as it is before. Now I have scabs down my throat and it is irritating. Doctor's concerns is catch an infection at the wound area so tomorrow I am seeing the doctor.