Saturday, February 9, 2008

Legend in the Making - Danube (Donau)




Posted above is a beautiful Waltz piece, which is called Blue Danube, composed by Johann Strauss II and performed by Vienna Boys Choir. This video of the Danube was posted by Ryan Goldd on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/user/RyanGolddRedux).

The Blue Danube is the common English title of An der schönen blauen Donau (At the Beautiful Blue Danube), a waltz by Johann Strauss II, composed in 1867. Originally performed on 9 February 1967 at a concert of the Wiener Männergesangsverein (Vienna Men's Choral Association), it has been one of the most consistently popular pieces of music in the classical repertoire. Its initial performance was only a mild success, however, and Strauss is reputed to have said, "The devil take the waltz, my only regret is for the coda—I wish that had been a success." (Source from Wikipedia)

And of course, besides being well known in the classical musics scene, the Danube is the longest river in the European Union and Europe's second longest river after the Volga. It originates in the Black Forest in Germany as the much smaller Brigach and Breg rivers which join at the eponymously named German town Donaueschingen, after which it is known as the Danube and flows eastwards for a distance of some 2850 km (1771 miles), passing through several Central and Eastern European capitals, before emptying into the Black Sea via the Danube Delta in Romania and Ukraine. (Source from Wikipedia)

The Danube represents more than just a beautiful waltz and the longest river in the European Union to those who know what I am writing about. It will be a historical milestone for me personally and most importantly for those who have put in 110% effort in making it happen. I wish I could elaborate more but until that day actually comes and the event actually happens - I shall keep my fingers away from the keyboard and close to my heart praying that all goes well.

Anyway, suspense and thrillers aside, I came across a very interesting presentation when I attended a seminar in Austria. The title of the presentation was Quo Vadis Powersports! For those who don't know me well, I love toys; I love fast toys; I love expensive fast toys. What sort of expensive fast toys are we talking about? Try to imagine one with the Prancing Horse emblem. I may not have the buying power to actually own one of those fast and expensive toys but I sure have the desire to ride on one with similar thrill factor. So this is where the significance of powersports comes in. The company talks about its powersports products such snowmobile, personal watercraft, motorcycle and many more. One of its product caught my attention - snowmobile. Do you know that a snowmobile can actually accelerate from 0 - 100 miles per hour (0 - 160 km/h) in less than 6 seconds? So that means there is a snowmobile out there that can outpace the expensive fast toy with the prancing horse emblem I was writing about earlier. Imagine that! It is also 'cheaper' to test ride one but whether or not you can get up to the speed that this snowmobile is capable of really depends on how big your cahonas are.

With my limited free time, I came across this website while I was 'space-walking' in cyber space on Google space station. Ski-Doo! This company really knows how to do their marketing. I love the way they promote their products prior to the actual launch. Check this out! http://www.ski-doo.com/brphtml/skidooenginetech/en/Index.htm. Great way to get people excited about their new lineups for 2009. The background music is simply exhiliarating. I suppose that is how your heart is beating when you actually ride their Ski-Doo. I have to ride one SOON! But how?

No comments: