Saturday, May 17, 2008

Are Wii Fit?



It has been more than 5 months since I embarked on a 'quest' to rid myself of excess fat and try to bring my Body Mass Index (BMI) from Obese to Ideal. To date, my accomplishments are as listed below:-
  • I have written two blogs since starting on this quest. This would be third blog
  • I registered and started working out at gym at my work place.
  • I had never eaten so much salad prior to the start of 'journey'.
  • I went through a 'roller coaster' ride with my weight loss program.
  • I received equal number of encouragement from friends and families as compared to the number of scorns in my effort to become healthy
  • I realised that chronic stress can lead to obesity
  • I also learn that it is better to start on new resolutions on May 1 instead of January 1 because stress is at its highest in the months of March and April.
  • I am sure I learn and realise a whole lot of things but I am sure those are irrelevant and I choose not to write them in this blog.

In the first two month of joining the gym, I was working out at least 3 times a week but from the third month onwards, my shadow was never even within 50 meters from the gym. Motivation was overwhelmed by mental exhaustion. In other words, I always had excuses not to go to the gym.

Well, thanks to those innovative Japanese working at Nintendo, I have found the right combination of stimulation and excitement with a dash of 'kiasu'ness in Nintendo's Wii Fit and Wii Sports as I pursue health and fitness.

As silly as this might sound to non-believers of Wii, I have lost 1 kg (to be exact 900 grams) since getting the Nintendo Wii. The combination of of Wii Sports and Wii Fit is simply exhiliarating. However, I cannot give a proper evaluation of the product yet because the outcome can only be seen after a couple of months. I will be combining my gym workouts and swimming (starting soon) together with daily dose of Wii-ing in the morning and again in the evening. I am not sure how effective will the Wii be in actually reducing my weight but the gaming is surely revolutionary and would definitely spice up my quest to lower my BMI to ideal again. And it really does improve balance through its Yoga Exercises and Balance Games. I will update more on my quest with Wii Fit by my side (under my feet to be exact) when I get results worth sharing.

No comments: